Monday 3 August 2015

West End Food Adventures

During the past month of July, I seemed to find myself in the area of West End quite a lot. There was the occasion of a graduation dinner and a catch up lunch, plus the other days where we needed a snack before/after rock-climbing at Urban Climb. The Boundary Street junction has become all too familiar and even though I've been well-acquainted with the routine of walking past the Gunshop Cafe and Little Greek Taverna, the interest in the numerous unvisited restaurants still remains fresh. I was able to tick a few places off my list and I thought I would compile and share the photos that I had collected in a food diary post. So here it goes.

#1 Vegerama
I never thought I would opt to dine at a vegetarian restaurant (as I usually cannot part with my 'meaty' meals) but I thought it was time to venture away from my norm and try something new. We ordered their Supreme pizza and Raw Pad Thai Salad to share and I also ordered their 'Tropical Breeze' smoothie to complement the warm day outside. Their Pad Thai Salad included kelp noodles which is a type of raw noodle made from seaweed. It was my first time trying it and on first bite, it was strange and the texture was unlike anything I had ever eaten (think crunchy but al dente). It's definitely an acquired taste and takes some getting use to but it was probably one of the most refreshing things I have ever eaten.

#2 Davies Park Market and the Boundary Street Markets
On one of the weekends, I decided to take my parents to visit the Davies Park Markets where there was a vast array of fresh produce stalls and culturally diverse food vendors to enjoy. I didn't take any photos of the food we ate but I can tell you that the Hungarialángos was top stuff. We also visited the Boundary Street Markets since they were close by, but many of the stalls weren't opened yet. I was able to visit the markets a second and third time on another occasion  and was able to see everything in full swing. It definitely seems like the place to be on a Friday/Saturday evening. (Sidenote: the deep fried calamari rings = top notch stuff too).

#3 The Burrow

My friends and I visited The Burrow to celebrate my friend's graduation after a round of putt-putt at Victoria Park. It was my second time visiting The Burrow but the first time being seated outside. There is something about exposed light bulbs, bunting and a graffiti-ed alley that makes everything that much more hipster and it was one of the most atmospheric dinners I have enjoyed. (My 'weekly illustration' from last week includes the menu of what we ate). 

#4 Donut Boyz
Brisbane seems to be in a doughnut craze with a new doughnut shop opening up every other week. Having tried a fair share of different doughnuts over the past couple of months, Donut Boyz probably comes out as top (with the others following very very closely behind)..

#5 The Bagel Boys
During a search to find a quick bite before rock climbing, my friend and I stumbled across The Bagel Boys and all thoughts of trying to find a"light lunch" disappeared. I've been quite a fan of bagels and I simply could not pass up the opportunity to finally try it. I had the Smoked Chicken with sundried tomato, rocket, avocado and pesto mayo, and my friend had the Smoked Salmon Classic. Definitely one to try again whenever I have the chance.

#6 Cocobliss
Superfoods (in particular, acai bowls) have been another big trend and although I have not jumped onto that bandwagon, I was curious enough to have a taste-test of an acai bowl from Cocobliss. I haven't had many favourable experiences with muesli or oats recipes and neither have I had an acai bowl before, so I was uncertain whether I would like it. But I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it - to a point where I had a brief moment of imagining myself being committed to being healthy and eating one everyday. But...let's be realistic here :P

Now playing: Drive - Oh Wonder

No comments:

Post a Comment