Saturday 25 May 2013

The more thankful you are, that happier you will be.


250513 - National Day of Thanksgiving :) 
It sounds so simple to be thankful and yet we don't actually think to do it. 

There are two types of people in this world: those who hate their lives and thinks everything sucks or those who enjoy and appreciate all the little things as well as the big things in life. I have to say that I have been on both sides of the spectrum. I admit that I have had days where I would mope around thinking that life kinda sucks and is pretty boring. I would look at other friends and people secretly wishing that I had their life..while I spent my days following a boring routine schedule. I would take everything that I had for granted and always wish for more (when in reality, I already have plenty!)

Then I realised that there is no use moping around every day feeling sorry for myself so I thought I should start living in the reality. I look at the kids living in poverty- they have literally nothing and still, they are smiling and laughing. And here I am with so much and yet I am still sulking. It doesn't make sense! It all sounds very cliché but it's so true!

We are often very thankful for everything in our lives. I, for one, feel incredibly blessed and thankful for everything that God gave me. From having the opportunity to go to university to study a subject that isn't available everywhere to having clothes to keep myself warm in this chilly weather! Having all my senses so that I can enjoy God's lovely creations to being able to live in a safe community (compared to those people who have to be on the run all the time!) And being able to laugh and smile and have emotions for every life's moments to having loving family and friends who make life more special and interesting...There are so many things that I take for granted and I'm sure that there are still an infinite amount things that I don't pay attention to enough that makes a profound difference in my life. 

However, these things in our lives don't just appear or happen all on its own. Like every gift, there is obviously someone who gave it all to us. We can be grateful for having all our "stuff" in our lives but neglect the one God who gave us life itself. He doesn't get enough credit! 

We can always ask for more things for ourselves or we can look at what we already have and be convinced that what we have is already plenty. 

What are you thankful for?

1 comment: