Tuesday 12 June 2012

The Easy Way or The Hard Way


Life is hard. There are many times of regret and embarrassment. But what I have learned so far this year is that I can either choose to dwell on what I have done wrong and things that I regret doing or look ahead to the infinitely more brilliant things that God has prepared for me.

I'm a pretty anxious person and I often let anxiety and stress take the better of me. These moments generally don't end well. But after listening to a Mark Driscoll sermon I have realized that because anxious is a choice- I can chose to let anxiety take over me and therefore "worship" anxiety or I can rejoice in what God has already done for me. An example which Mark Driscoll made was a pastor who's wife had cancer. He was told that his wife would not last until Christmas. There were two ways he could go about this. One: he could fall into depression and when she dies, he would think that God was punishing him and that it wasn't fair. Or two: he could rejoice- thanking the Lord that he could be there in his wife's last moments, being grateful that he had spent a majority of his life with a faithful and loving wife. As Phillipans 4:4 says, "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!" Don't let anxiety get the better of you!

Life is short compared to the life God had prepared for us after the finish line. Our life is only 5cm on a rope that stretches on forever and ever. Why would we worry about a tiny millimeter when we have the rest of the rope to look forward to? And even then, God's plans for our future here on earth will be great. Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." He will never make plans to make you suffer! Anything that hurts us is not from Him but we brought it on ourselves because we didn't trust Him. God is a good and gracious God.
† = ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment